Hip Abduction is one of the most important functions of the LINK between lower body function and Integrated Trunk/Spine systems. Maximizing the threshold of lower body functions is ESPECIALLY important with regards to all Movement, Agility, Speed, and Specificity of training. The threshold needs to be maximized by super-setting (complexing) TECHNICAL and/or PLYOMETRIC drills that directly relate to the MUSCLE FUNCTION of the required motion. Since every change of direction (COD) involves certain levels of hip abduction function (eccentric loading AND concentric action), it is imperative that this action is implemented into all Movement protocols. In addition – hip abduction is directly related to Trunk/Spine high level function – especially isometric threshold of trunk lateral flexors and trunk rotators. Both of which are crucial for optimal Movement training.
The key elements that need to be implemented (with EXAMPLES of Technical drills):
– Isolated hip abduction (Band Hip Abduction, with isometric emphasis on the tempo)
– Eccentric Loading (90 degree Jump to Stabilization; with Raptor resist/assist intensification)
– Eccentric Loading advanced (180 degree Jump to Stabilization; with Raptor resist/assist intensification)
– Low grade plyometric action (Moving Quick Cuts with Raptor lateral resist)
– Dynamic Eccentric Loading (Double Agility Ladder – Inside Edge stabilization with Raptor lateral resist)
These concepts need to be progressed over time; and integrated into training. All various types of full speed Application actions of COD can be enhanced by implementation of these concepts with progressive overload. Some Technical drills can be a “Prep phase” to lead into better full speed COD training. Many technical drills can be directly COMPLEXED WITH full speed COD action (and sport/position specific motions).
This video will give a full demonstration of how these concepts integrate together. And explain how maximizing the threshold of the hip abduction sequences play such a vital role in overall athleticism with COD and injury prevention of the lower body AND Trunk/Spine.
WELCOME TO THE REVOLUTION